Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ex-Girlfriend Sighting

This past Sunday, I saw my most recent ex-girlfriend.  She was walking through the passageway between my apartment building and the surrounding shops, oblivious to my entryway.  She was eating some Coldstone Creamery ice cream, and seemed to be walking rather nonchalantly with her new beau -- as though she was a regular or occasional shopper in the area -- as though she had never stood outside those very double doors waiting for me to come down and let her in, welcoming her with a big, lifting hug and kiss of her glossy lips.  She just walked right on by.  And she ate that ice cream rather freely as well, playing with the spoon on her tongue and all.  She never ate ice cream with me, and certainly never savored anything like that.  She'd eat half of a salad or a few bites of chicken or salmon, and dutifully push the rest aside.  She was very concerned with caloric intake, yoga, working out, and staying in perfect shape with me.  Now, well, her legs have widened; her body has loosened in areas.  From behind, I could still recognize her just by her hair and the curves of her head and ears.  Let me be honest, I was somehow pleased when I ensured myself to certitude that indeed it was her.  I was happy that she was...not in her best shape.  And that if someone else would have her, he would not be having her in her best shape.  I actually laughed to myself.  No need to call or text her and attempt to bring her back; this was tangible evidence that she was not the girl I remembered her to be! This was proof positive that time, things, and people do change, and that the past isn't always better than the present or future.  I convinced myself that I am currently better off than the new beau who has her...in that condition.  Mirthfully, I chuckled some more.  I am single; I am free!  He doesn't have the girl I did.  My ex-girlfriend, the one I knew, is gone forever.  I can move on now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You have such high standards. Will anyone ever be good enough for you? I hate to break it to you, but she IS still the same person. Perhaps she weighs an extra 5-10 pounds. She is still the same person and the reason you shouldn't try to get her back is because she is clearly happy with her new bf. Your statements about why you can now move on after having seen her in less than tip-top shape reveal some things about you that are bringing you down, and that might be affecting your current relationship status: vanity, shallowness, and an obsession with appearance. Maybe she is happier with hew new bf because he sees her for more than just a body.

    ReplyDelete